Glendale commuters who drive Loop 101 and Grand Avenue could see upgraded highways, plus improvements to major streets in the city, if the governor and state lawmakers work out a deal to allow Maricopa County residents to vote on their own transportation tax.
The countywide half-cent sales tax, called Proposition 400, funds much of metro Phoenix’s streets, highways and public transit services. It’s been in effect since county voters first approved it in 1985 and reapproved it in 2004. If mayors had their way, voters would’ve had the chance to extend it again in 2022, but there was an unexpected caveat.
Streets that will be widened if Proposition 400 is extended
- Glendale Avenue Bridge: Widen from Litchfield Road to 99th Avenue.
- Regional cost: $45.4 million. City cost: $19.5 million.
- Camelback Road: Widen from 51st to 99th avenues.
- Regional cost: $41.8 million. City cost: $17.9 million.
- 67th Avenue: Rehabilitate from Olive Avenue to Pinnacle Peak Road.
- Regional cost: $34.3 million. City cost: $14.7 million.
- Sarival Avenue: Widen from Peoria Avenue to Camelback Road.
- Regional cost: $32.7 million. City cost: $14 million.
- 59th Avenue: Upgrades from Camelback Road to Loop 101.
- Regional cost: $17.2 million. City cost: $7.4 million.
- Bell Road Bridge: Widen between 59th and 83rd avenues.
- Regional cost: $12.8 million. City cost: $5.5 million.
- Cotton Lane: Widen between Camelback and Bethany Home roads.
- Regional cost: $8 million. City cost: $3.4 million.
- 83rd Avenue: Rehabilitate from Bethany Home Road to Northern Avenue.
- Regional cost: $5.5 million. City cost: $2.35 million.
- Ballpark Boulevard: Widen from Bethany Home Road to State Farm Stadium
- Regional cost: $4.5 million. City cost: $1.9 million.
- 91st Avenue: Orangewood to Northern avenues.
- Regional cost: $3 million. City cost: $1.3 million.
U.S. 60 Grand Avenue:
- Will be upgraded from Sun City West at the northwest end to downtown Phoenix on the east end.
- Interchanges at Northern Avenue and 51st Avenue/Bethany Home Road are also slated to be improved.
- Will be widened from the 75th Avenue interchange in the northwest Valley to Interstate 10 interchange in the southwest Valley.
- The Loop 101 interchanges at Glendale Avenue, Bell Road and 59th and 67th avenues will be improved.
- A direct carpool lane at the 83rd Avenue interchange of Loop 101 will be added.